All experiments should be performed with adult supervision.
Appropriate safety wear, such as googles and gloves, should be worn.
- Begin by slicing the bottom and the top off of your lemon. It should sit upright and flat, so we can pour in scientifically magic ingredients.
- Next, mash-up the inside of the lemon with your craft stick: the more juice you make by mashing, the better. You want a puddle of juice to form in the top.
- Now we add ingredients to the lemon. Add 3 to 4 drops of food coloring, then 2 to 3 drops of dish soap.
- Mix the soap, food coloring, and lemon juice together with your craft stick. Continue mixing until the color changes.
- Then, add two teaspoons of baking soda and keep mashing the mixture into your lemon using the craft stick.
- Add three more teaspoons of baking soda and more lemon juice, then watch the reaction. You should be seeing a citric eruption.
- You created an acid-base reaction from citric acid and sodium bicarbonate. Scientists study this to prevent wear and tear on engines. The Lemon Volcano experiment is complete!