All experiments should be performed with adult supervision.
Appropriate safety wear, such as googles and gloves, should be worn.
- This experiment requires hydrogen peroxide, so begin by putting on gloves and goggles and be sure to follow Alexa’s instructions closely.
- First, pour 1/2 cup hydrogen peroxide into your plastic bottle. For safety, please be sure not to smell the liquid.
- Next, add 5 drops of dish soap and mix the solution by swirling it around in your bottle, as if you’re creating a whirlpool.
- Stop swirling and put your plastic bottle down. Next, we’re going to activate our yeast.
- In a separate cup, mix the yeast with warm water until it dissolves. Then put the mixture aside.
- Next, add a few drops of food dye down the side of your bottle—try different colors for different looks.
- Ready for the fun part? Take a funnel and pour the yeast mixture into your plastic bottle.
- Add some more food coloring to keep the colors flowing!
- You’ve created an exothermic reaction - which happens in jet engines during the combustion process. And with that, you’ve mastered the Foaming Fountain!